The objective of the Whittier AM Y's Men's Club is to support the activities of the YMCA of Greater Whittier and the Projects of Y's Men International through personal service and united effort.
Last year the Whittier AM Club contributed over $28,000 to our Whittier YMCAs, and to Y's Men International Projects supporting the YMCA mission world-wide. Club contributions are a function of Club Project success (see Club Project descriptions below). The 2006-07 Club Contributions were allocated as follows:
Y's Men International Projects Supported:
- Time of Fast Project $2,250
- Brotherhood Fund $1,235
- Dollars for Scholars Fund $735
Whittier YMCA Projects and Programs Supported:
- Camp Arbolado Truck $7,000
- YMCA Youth Basketball Association $3,225
- YMCA Current Support Campaign $3,000
- Camperships $3,000
- Camp Arbolado Annual Work Weekend $2,000
- YMCA Part-time Staff Education Grants $1,800
- RSVP $1,500
- Stride $1,500
- Holloway Fund $725
- East Whittier YMCA Childcare $420
- YMCA Golf Tournament (Tee Sponsor) $150
Club members participate in the following income producing Club Projects:
- Newspaper Recycling. Newsprint is separated from the "slicks" (or advertising inserts), and then bundled, tied, and delivered to a local lamp manufacturer for use as packing material. The removed slicks are sold to a commercial newspaper recycler. Newspaper processing operations are conducted at the Uptown YMCA on Saturday mornings (8-11AM).
- Christmas Wreaths. Club Members sell approximately 600 wreaths annually to decorate the doors of our community. Have you purchased a wreath from the Y's Men?
- Pancake Breakfast. Each spring the Club organizes and conducts a Pancake Breakfast at the Uptown YMCA gymnasium. The Pancake Breakfast benefits the YMCA Youth Basketball Association and other Youth Programs. Last year over 1,200 breakfasts were served!
In addition, Club members' plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, and yes, chainsaw skills (among others) get utilized periodically on special YMCA work projects on an as needed basis. Club members regularly participate in the annual YMCA Camp Arbolado Work Weekend to assist with Camp readiness for the summer sessions.
The Whittier AM Club is one of 37 Clubs in the immediate area, or Region. Regional Conventions are held annually and provide an opportunity for Club members to gather, meet and interchange experiences and ideas with fellow Club members from the Pacific Southwest Region. US and International Conventions are held every other year and provide further opportunity for exchange with fellow Y's Men and Women from around the country and across the globe.
Not all Club activities are focused around Club Projects. Club members, spouses, family and friends gather about 4 times a year for planned Club Social events. Club Socials generally have a theme; where dinner, entertainment, and fellowship are shared. The year concludes with the annual Club Installation Banquet where a "unique" demotion ceremony for our outgoing President and installation ceremony for our incoming Officers is celebrated.
Whittier AM Club members pay dues of $65 per quarter ($260 annually). Club dues are used to pay for breakfast served at our morning General Meetings, Club social events, the Annual Club Installation Banquet, and Club newsletter publication and distribution. US and International dues are also paid from the Club dues to fund operating expenses at the Region, US, and International levels, including salaries, benefits and office space for the International Headquarters (Geneva, Switzerland) administrative staff, council and cabinet expenses, newsletters, training materials, awards, and more.
Applying for Membership
Please contact Membership Director, John Richmond (email@example.com), for Club membership information.